The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, July 29, 2006

cards on the table

There is a tide in the affairs of men which when taken at the flood leads on to great things.
There is another tide which just drowns you.
What are these lights?
I want them to be from God.
Even if it means a warning.
But God hasn't told me they are from him.
Will we ever know?
There is a story in the Bible about a man who dies and goes to hell. He asks for permission to return to warn his family to live a better life.
He is told: "If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, then they will not listen even if someone returns from the dead."
I take this as an explanation for why God doesn't continually offer us entertainments to prove he exists.
He doesn't serve us.
We serve him.
Yet I have long thought the world is so loaded with miracles that we can see him if we wish.
And sometimes we get miracles.
Not on demand.
But on asking.
There is no pilgrimage without a journey.
A Swiss Bishop called Hans Urs Von Balthazar has spoken of "Teo Dramatik" in relation to the claimed apparitions at Medjurgorge.
God's drama.
A rich cycle of miracle and wonderment crafted into everyday life to show us what in some way we've always known.
God is real.
So that's my cards on the table.
I want the lights to be from heaven.
But we must keep considering the primary possibilities of hoax, or film makers, or natural phenonomena.
We must keep considering them.
Even if on Tuesday night when the lights lit up the sky right in front of me, even if directly confronted with the most spectacular refutation of all those theories, even if, as happened, I shook with delight, and laughed out loud at the sheer ridiculousness of the suggestion that anyone was staging this...

4 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Yet I have long thought the world is so loaded with miracles that we can see him if we wish.

The book of Romans (first chapter) says that anyone can see God by looking at creation. There is no excuse. But many insist on worshipping the creation instead of the creator.

The lights were sent so I, through reading this little essay, would understand the parable of the rich man and Lazarus more fully.

9:19 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

G, You were sent so I might know the generosity of the creator. J

11:57 PM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Hmm..if I may be so bold, is God the God just of the Earth or is God the God of everything ? We may think we knew about God's greatness because of the world we live in but maybe our minds are about to be opened wider than we dreamed possible.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

I have often wondered about what scheewittchen is saying in my philosophy of religion class.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home