The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, October 19, 2006

midnight walk

seek ye first the kingdom of God
and his righteousness
and all these things shall be added unto you
alleluia

Found this quote tonight. It touched most nearly upon my heart. It's about wanting only to know God, and the idea that then everything else in life will be given to you. It's part of a song as well in the Christian tradition. A rather nifty song, in that the thought is poetic and the melody is sweet.
As I stepped out the front door with Paddy Pup tonight I addressed the creator of the universe frankly.
"Sure how could I genuinely want your kingdom more than the things of this world? " I asked. "Honestly Lord. How could you ask me to want your kingdom first when my body really just wants the reflected other and my mind just wants poetry and the rest of me wants money?"
Then I corrected myself. For I genuinely hadn't meant parts of what I'd said. There was never a clash between my poetry and the kingdom. And I never cared about money. Never for a second.
"But Lord the reflected other," I continued. "How could I ever want heaven more than to find her?"
I strolled on the leaf fringed avenue with Paddington. The dog was unusually quiet. Halting when I halted. Walking when I walked.
The night was almost completely still with only a hint of the softest possible wind. Cloudy sky. Dampness in the air after the rain.
Words came to me.
I listened.
The words filled my mind.
It was personal stuff mostly.
I'm telling you bold readers it is quite an experience to feel you're getting a personal reply from he who made the stars and set them in their courses. But I was concentrating closely to see would a proper answer come to the question I had asked.
At the end of the walk I spoke again.
"Yes Lord, but still if I'm honest, I don't see how I could want your kingdom more than the other thing."
I felt the Almighty smiling.
Then I heard this.
"Because my kingdom is real."

2 Comments:

Blogger heelers said...

Jim, a moving evocation of the divine aflatus. Movingly written. Movingly conveyed. Moving in every respect. It moved me.
James

12:54 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

Yes it is.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home