The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, January 21, 2007

snow falling on heelers

Strolling on the avenue with Paddy Pup after midnight.
Blurry snowflakes falling around us.
Earlier today I had a language lesson with Rooskie.
She is luminous.
Luminous as the snow.
She arrived breathless and glowing at the cafe. Her first words were: "Sorry I'm late. I had to collect my daughter from her playgroup."
Intriguing.
She had daughtered me straight away.
The process of making an innocuous mention of a daughter in conversation is known as daughtering.
She daughtered me again a few minutes after.
And yet again half an hour later.
And yet once more as I was buying a second round of coffees.
My febrile mind raced.
It occurred to me she might indeed be trying to let me know she has a daughter.
This thought was followed immediately by: Not a problem for me.
I sat back down with the coffees.
Seconds later she husbanded me.
That is to say she made an innocuous reference to her husband etc etc.
"My husband parked the wan in the street last night. We got into trouble with the neighbours."
Heelers' face was a study.
"What?" sez I.
"The wan," sez she.
I nodded grimly.
The wan indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Snow is a miracle in itself. I'm glad you were blessed.

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home