The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, January 13, 2007

this evening

Standing in the book shop on Grafton Street.
Something drew my attention.
I turned.
Behind me lay the poetry section.
The books themselves had drawn my attention.
I started with surprise.
Because...
Because for once I didn't feel a wave of resentment towards the poets and their books.
So long I had thought of them as my enemies.
Resented their achievements.
I started again.
A thrill of delight shot through me.
I no longer have any fight with the poets.
I am free.
An idea struck me.
Instantly I opened my diary and tore out a page with one of my poems on it. I signed the page and placed it gingerly on the shelves between The Collected Works Of Seamus Heaney and The Complete Des Egan.
I smiled.
Walking away.
It's been a long time coming.
At last my work can be found amongst the immortals on the shelves of Dublin bookshops.

4 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Tis a sad fact that the Poet is never recognised in their own land. Or is that Prophet. Same difference.

Glad you took the matter into your own hands:)

5:38 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Today Grafton Street, tomorrow, oh you know!
J

1:09 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

You are famous in India!

People know you and your works.

They are in my diaries, journals and blogs!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Your day will come, James. Then we'll say, "We knew him when..."

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home