The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, December 21, 2007

sic transit gloria monty baines

Mid afternoon in Brambles cafe.
My mobile phone beeps.
It is a newsmaker called Clifford T Reid.
A few years ago he became the youngest ever elected councillor in the South Kildare town of Athy. Shortly after that he stood for the European parliament on a slogan that ran: "Stop The Paedophiles." Last Autumn he took part in an expedition to cross South Georgia island in the Antarctic.
He is indeed a newsmaker.
But I no longer write the news.
Before I can say anything he begins.
"James," quoth he. "I'm putting together a book. It's about what famous people think of Kildare. I want to know what they love about the place and what it means to them to live here. I'm thinking maybe of getting each one to write a page of their own personal insights. What do you think?"
"It sounds like a good idea Cliff," I mumble noncommittally.
But really I'm getting ready to preen.
I'm thinking: Ah, recognition at last.
You know gentle travellers of the internet, even in the hour of defeat comes the glimmer of triumph.
Clifford T Reid continues.
"I'm wondering," sez he, "if you can suggest a few people I might ask to contribute."

1 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

*shakes head in disbelief*

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home