The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

a prophet is never welcome in his own car

Driving Miss Lily through the heartland of South Kildare.
The last days of October have come to us with frost and sunlight and the sweet heady tang of cold winter air.
My spirits rise.
I am singing lustily.
The song goes:

"Down in Dublin city,
Full of crannies and nooks,
Lived a German girl,
Called Julia B Fuchs.
She never ever learned
To read or write too well,
But she could speak German
Like she was ringing a bell.
Little country girl
With moderate good looks,
That's our girl
Julia B Fuchs.
Go.
Go Julia go.
Go go.
Go Julia go.
Go.
Go.
Julia B Fuchs."

I pause for breath.
The Mammy's keeps her eyes straight ahead.
Her voice when it comes has a gentle but persistent dignity.
"I think your singing," sez she, "is a form of elder abuse."

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Frech said...

Sr Katherine used to say that if you had a nice voice you should sing loudly and if you don't then you should sing louder still so that the Good Lord's ears would be offended and he would fix it for you.

I was kicked out of choir in the 7th grade for singing "like a dying frog". I sing louder than anyone I know. God hasn't fixed it yet, but maybe He just likes it a bit off-key. You never know.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a nun saying? My mother told us the same thing, which was told to her by nuns. I'll have to tell her "Maybe He just likes it a bit off-key". She'll like that.

12:53 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Hey The Mom, I was kicked out of choir too. At least I was kicked out of the auditions for the choir. Father Coot never explained exactly why. Although he did look pained.
Missjean, my own personal experiences notwithstanding, theologically we have to think all God's creatures have a place in the choir!
J

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home