The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, October 04, 2008

she who knows not fate

Rendezvous with Hoddlebun in the cafe above Easons bookshop on O'Connell Street.
Yes, she's back.
She's come back I tell you.
Back to Farancreesht.
Sorry.
Lost it there for a minute.
Outside our window the city of Dublin is resplendent in October sunshine.
"So," sez Hodders, "are you still collecting unemployment assistance?"
"Nah," sez I.
"Why not?"
"Well Hodders old bean it's certainly not because I'm working."
"What happened?"
"Some young one behind the counter at the Social Welfare office in Newbridge looked at me as if I was scum and I suddenly became a lot less interested in having any dealings with them."
"How long ago did that happen?"
"April."
Big Hair looked mildly distrait.
"So how are you surviving?"
I flashed her my famous fleeting grin.
"One day at a time, Hodders my old apple crumble, one day at a time."

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Well, yes == I've wondered that myself.

Is your brother really a priest?

...and the other really a doctor??

I must know more about you.....although this learning little by little is kinda fun

7:05 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

A
The Lord's guidance is currently my staple diet! Particularly the bit where he talks about lilies in the field...
J

3:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank God you alluded to the lilies rather than the Thrush......I believe there are ferocious felines stalking your garden at the moment....and that is not an allusion to the creature in the social welfare office. It is my understanding that if collecting unemployment benefit rather than "dole" that one is merely drawing from a fund to which one has already contributed. God knows if you don't draw from it, some well heeled bankers might have substantial debts underwritten with no reference to the exorbitant and immoral profits recorded in the past few years.

7:25 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Frances, the irony is screaming.
No actually. That was me.
J

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home