The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, November 17, 2008

a find

Elisabetta the Genovese gave me some innocuous advice.
"Check out Fabrizio De Andre," she said. "I think you'll like his songs."
I took her advice.
I found the song Via Del Campo.
Now this was a moment.
A chap called Luciano had put up a video of the city of Genoa on the YouTube internet site to accompany the Fabrizio song.
The video was more evocative in its simplicity than a million dollars worth of MTV tripe.
You know bold readers that my theories about the healing of mind, hinge in part on the notion that if you choose to keep living, you will start to find things in life that make the whole ball game worthwhile.
This was one of those moments.
Here was a find.
Listening to this song.
It was like the feeling I get from an Irina Kuksova painting. Or a Kim Merker poem. Or a Divya Sharma diary. Or an Alan Massie instrumental.
Real art touches the heart.
It extends experience.
It makes life worth living.
As I listened to the song I had the unmistakeable sensation of being touched by living art.
I smiled.
This is treasure.
A singer I'd never heard of.
A new genius.
Yes.
What a find.
Thankfully I didn't cease to exist yesterday or I'd never have found this.
In minutes I'd done a search on the internet.
The new genius I'd just been introduced to, had already been dead for ten years.
A little more searching revealed that he'd supposedly been anti Catholic.
This made the new genius worse than dead as far as I was concerned.
Evening wore on.
A soft November evening in Ireland.
Presently I said a prayer for the soul of Fabrizio De Andre.
If I knew nothing else about him, I knew he wrote and sang Via Del Campo.
A song that extends experience.
A song that makes life worth living.
For the first time in ten years I want to write poems again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home