The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the joyful mysteries of my life

This is a spiritual exercise. It might be of interest to anyone who's dealt with mental struggles. In the Catholic tradition we consider five moments in Jesus' life to be the Joyful Mysteries. We pray around em sometimes. Now this exercise challenges you to identify five joyous moments in your own life. Think about them. Dwell on them. Meditate their meaning. Feel the joy now. It can be difficult at first to pick five. It gets easier. Over time those of us who have habitually dwelt too much on negative situations or memories, can culture our own spirit to more readily return to these moments of rejoice. Here are my five.

1. A day in Summer when my exam results came from Secondary School. The results were a bit better than expected. The memory of that day still shines. It felt like a blessed day.

2. Mrs Murchison exclaiming "God sent you," when I arrived on her doorstep after being moved against my will to a different town by my then employer Kildare County Council. Mrs M was minding her daughter's baby who was kicking up merry hell. I'd been dead set against the Council moving me. At that moment on Mrs M's doorstep, I understood it was meant to be.

3. Two of the neighbour's kids kissing me on the right and left cheek on my birthday, and Paddy Pup moving forward gently between them to kiss me on the nose.

4. Word reaching me that a lady had started to overcome her grief about her husband's death by reading one of my articles.

5. Dibya.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I just did a talk on that very thing at our parish - well, almost. We chose one joyful, one luminous, one sorrowful, and one glorious moment to meditate on. The point of the talk was to show us how God is with us in all these different times.

I got the idea for the talk from JPII's letter on the rosary. He wrote:

"Against the background of the words Ave Maria the principal events of the life of Jesus Christ pass before the eyes of the soul. They take shape in the complete series of the joyful, sorrowful and glorious mysteries, and they put us in living communion with Jesus through – we might say – the heart of his Mother. At the same time our heart can embrace in the decades of the Rosary all the events that make up the lives of individuals, families, nations, the Church, and all mankind. Our personal concerns and those of our neighbour, especially those who are closest to us, who are dearest to us. Thus the simple prayer of the Rosary marks the rhythm of human life” (2)

Very nice. I enjoyed that greatly.

8:09 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Maryh, balm for the soul!
J

11:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like this suggestion, and I will try it. I will also share it with Nelda; however, she teaches us all how to focus on "joy" through her example.

P.S. This pertains to a previous entry...James, I hate to tell you that your EWTN soul mate is pro-Obama. I know by your writing that you respect each person's views, and I know that you will give Obama a fair chance.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...A glimpse of James's sensitive soul :)


Irina

11:58 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Robyn, if you like Barack, that's one very excellent reason for me to recognise the good in him.
Irina, you stop that. It tickles.
J

3:51 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

aww :)

5:21 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Chammers.
It's the truth.
J

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home