The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

strange visitors

come with me
to the darkest most beautiful night
that the world has ever seen
and ever might
we can sit on the straw
we'll get warm from it
and watch the stillness draw
a cloak of peace
through a time of war
lambs are calling in the fields
that this night is forever
and forever yields
to this night
we are there
hid in the warmth
with things that are old
and things that are rare
look look my friend
gold
frankincense
and myrrh

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Nollaig Shona Dhuit to you, James (I hope that's right)

7:32 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Ta se go hiontach. (Thaw Shay Guh hoon-tock.)
Agus tusa fein. (Oggus tuh sa fain.)
It's wonderful. And you are too.
Happy Christmas Adrienne.
J

10:40 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I AM SUCH A DOLT!!! I spent at least 30 minutes working on a translation only to come back here and realize you had already translated it. At least I knew I translated it correctly. LOL

However, the exercise of my mind was good. Thanks for the pronunciation guide. What a tough language! But for me - they're all tough!

8:17 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Ade, Irish has a big gutteral thing going on. A bit like German. I believe linguists consider it a part of the Splutter family of languages! Joke. But not far from the truth.
James

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home