The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

inaugural

President Barack Obama and President Bush strolled towards the helicopter chatting amiably.
The helicopter was Marine One.
Reserved for the use of Presidents.
And Ex Presidents.
President Bush would depart in it.
This last walk together would be the symbolic farewell from the new President to the old President.
The First Ladies walked with them.
President Obama and President Bush shook hands.
The Bush Whacker gave President Obama a bear hug.
First Lady Michelle Obama kissed President Bush on the cheek.
On impulse she hugged him too.
She looked as beautiful as any First Lady who ever lived.
President Bush and Laura Bush entered Marine One which shortly thereafter rose into the afternoon sunshine and flew away.
President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama waved as the helicopter lifted.
"What do you think" Serafina asked me.
My face was a study.
"I think the Americans are still teaching us," I said softly. "All of us."

6 Comments:

Blogger caite said...

I think George Bush is a man with a lot of class.

9:45 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

I think you're right.
And I love the way you spell your name!
James

8:33 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Hope you didn't miss the people in the White House booing President Bush right before the swearing in. It brought tears to my eyes that people in the new administration would act in such a boorish, crude, and course manner....but it did not surprise me.

7:48 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Actually I did miss that.
J

4:45 AM  
Blogger caite said...

doesn't surprise me...sadly.

1:55 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

What Caite did next?

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home