The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, March 06, 2009

catcher in the wryness

Miss Hungary was telling me about Hungary.
"We're all mad about water polo," she said. "Our national water polo team nearly always wins a gold at the Olympics. It's a source of great pride to us because it's the only time we get a chance to show ourselves to the world. Hungarians play water polo to win."
The Aroma Cafe hummed around us.
I tried to look wise and interested at the same time.
"Water polo," I mused, "I'm not really familiar with it. How do the horses move about in the water? How do you swing the mallets?"
Miss Hungary favoured me with a brief searching Hungarian look just to be sure I wasn't joking.
Then she laughed.
And laughed.
And laughed again.
As love struck waifs go, I think we can safely say, she was fairly dazzled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home