The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, May 25, 2009

an open letter to tony o'reilly proprietor of independent newspapers

Dear Tone.
Some matters I need to discuss with you.

1. Various newspapers in your group carried claims yesterday about increased readership figures. I found these figures hard to believe. Tell me one thing. If The Irish Independent, The Sunday Independent, The Evening Herald, The Sunday World, and The Daily Star are all selling fifty million copies a day, why then is the share price of Independent Newspapers currently at 13 cents? Why does the combined debt of all your titles come to a sum total of one and a half billion smackeroonies? Look into this.

2. Yesterday at midday I published an article on The Heelers Diaries about a Libyan terrorist who'd been given an Irish passport by our kleptocratic Fianna Fail government. Yesterday at 4pm I discovered an article on the same topic in The Evening Herald by Mr Cormac Looney. The article was better researched than anything I've ever written in my life. You should hang on to Mr Cormac Looney. He will make you a lot of money. But the editorial angle was similar to mine. To wit, your reporter asked why the Libyan terrorist had been given an Irish passport, and then having been given one, why he was allowed to keep it after details of his Al Qaeda activities emerged. O'Reilly are your staff lifting editorial angles from The Heelers Diaries? Look into this.

3. I turned the page from Mr Cormac Looney's excellent article and found a feature column by Mr Con Houlihan. For a moment I was rather pleased with Independent Newspapers for publishing a writer of Mr Houlihan's calibre. You'll have to forgive me O'Reilly. Being pleased with Independent Newspapers is a new emotion for me. I don't quite know how to handle it. However it didn't last long. Your editorial staff had given Mr Houlihan a byline which read: "Ireland's Greatest Living Man Of Letters." Well, well, well O'Reilly. Even you might see the similarity between this epithet and the epithet on the mast head of The Heelers Diaries. Tell me O'Reilly. Are your drones in Sektor Sieben Gah (The Evening Herald) lifting epithets from my blog? Look into this.

4. Your newspaper The Irish Independent is currently carrying articles by a Mr David Quinn who purports to be a Catholic. O'Reilly I've been wondering was Mr Quinn appointed to your staff because I had been writing openly that Independent Newspapers is a vilely vituperatively blatently anti Catholic organisation. Is David Quinn a token Catholic? Who do you think you're fooling? Look into this O'Reilly.

5. In the same cafe where I found a free copy of The Evening Herald yesterday, I found a copy of The Daily Star, over which I understand you also have some sort of lien. I was puzzled to note the ongoing presence of phone sex lines in The Daily Star. How can this be? Did not Ger Colleran the editor of The Daily Star claim in a false and cowardly manner on Irish national television some years ago that children had been abused in every Catholic church presbytery in Ireland? Is it not inconsistent on the part of such a moral giant as Ger Colleran to permit the publishing of phone sex lines? Could this same legendary Ger Colleran now really be editing for you, a newspaper which disseminates phone sex lines trumpeting the services of "girls," and "teenage girls." Do the "girls" running these phone sex lines actually work from The Daily Star's offices? Or do you just accept money for providing the advert? I mean, are you just pimps or actually whore masters? What age are the "girls" who feature on the phone sex lines advertised in The Daily Star? What circumstances do they work in? What are their direct bosses like? Do you make any efforts to check? What does "Talk You Off" mean? All this is very unseemly O'Reilly. You know that personally I consider phone sex lines to be part of a societal dynamic which creates dysfunction and disruption in both male and female sexualties, thereby leading to sex abuse. Do you agree with my opinion on this O'Reilly? How would you feel if one of your sons or daughters was working on a phone sex line, or worse still, experiencing life through the use of phone sex lines? Makes you think doesn't it? Have a word with the immortal Ger Colleran this week. Make sure no more phone sex lines appear in The Daily Star. Do it for me O'Reilly.

James Healy

************
(Originally published 5th March 2009.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home