The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, June 22, 2009

heeler the peeler's supernatural tales of horror and suspense

Costa Cafe on Nassau Street.
Mid afternoon.
Miss Hyunjin is recounting for me one of her personal experiences of the supernatural.
"I was in bed asleep," she said. "I woke up and couldn't move. I felt someone beside the bed. A feeling of terror swept over me. But I still couldn't move. Then I heard singing. It was a little girl singing."
"What age were you at the time?" asked the noble Heelers.
"I was seventeen. It was four years ago."
"Did it only happen once?"
"I had the experience three times. But only once was the little girl there singing."
"Where did it happen?"
"It happened at my family home."
"Could it have been a dream?" proffered I.
"No, I was awake," insisted she.
"Were you drunk? Had you been drinking? Wine maybe?"
"No!" she cried.
"So what do you think it was yourself?" I asked.
"I think it was a ghost," she replied.
Around us the cafe cacaphoned briefly.
A flurry of teenagers moving to the door.
The spell was broken.
The noble Heelers glanced at his watch.
The hour was up.
As English lessons go, this had been a strange one.
I stood up to go.
As I did so, I leaned forward to kiss her.
She recoiled.
I kid you not.
Positively recoiled.
It was like the sort of reaction Quasimodo got from girls that definitely didn't fancy him.
Hmmm.
Well maybe oriental women frown on public displays of affection.
It's gotta be that.
But shrinking away from me.
Like a frightened fawn.
Not good for the ego.
As I walked towards the door it seemed all eyes were on me.
I gotta tell you folks.
It'll be a cold day in Seoul before I try to kiss any more Korean babes in public or anywhere else.
This one won't get a kiss out of me again unless she pulls a gun.
Ah.
The horror, the horror, as we do say in the ghost hunting trade.

6 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Interesting, very interesting.....

1:11 AM  
Anonymous MissJean said...

FYI I woke up and couldn't move but could hear, see and smell things. I had a sensation of someone standing in the window (beyond my line of vision) and then sitting on the bed.

I told a friend about it and she informed me that we can be semi-conscious but unable to control our bodies because part of the brain isn't "awake" yet. I don't know the technical jargon she used, but she said the sensations were dreams overlapping with conscious thought.

On the real ghost story front, my nieces and nephew informed me that there was a ghost in their old house. Their mother up with the sound of a girl screaming (all but one of the children slept through it - and he was scared most because his mother came upstairs with a weapon, thinking there was an intruder). There was a little girl in a nightgown in the boys' room, and it spoke. My sister-in-law told it that it didn't live there anymore. It never showed itself again.

3:08 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Schnee, I'm always interesting. You know that.
MJ, yoikes!
J

4:45 AM  
Blogger Dymphna said...

on the real ghost front:

My husband's grandmother died suddenly in her home one evening at supper.Sudden cardiac arrest and she was gone.

She and her husband built the house in the early '30s. Their son (my husband's maternal uncle) and his wife eventually moved into the house when Grandpop died.

I don't think they ever saw or experienced any "ghosts" but at least three others did. It was always an a woman, and her affect was one of anger or perturbance.

My teenaged (at the time) daughter felt chased out of the rooom and wouldn't continue sleeping there.

My husband's niece saw her in the attic.

My husband was wakened by her presence and recognized her. In life she was a somewhat daunting figure to him as a young child and she was the same now: busy folding laundry and perturbed about something...eventually she faded.

Those are the only ones I know about, but I'll bet there were other guests who had the same experience.

My daughter, being my husband's step child, was in no way related to Belle. Besides, up until then, she didn't believe in "ghosts".

Just sayin'...

5:23 PM  
Blogger Dymphna said...

to Miss Jean --

When they did a sleep study on me, that was one of the questions asked: did I ever experience, on waking or falling asleep.

The hypnagogic state is the one experienced on falling asleep. The one related to waking is called the hypnopomic state.

Both states can be an indication, the neurologist told me, of an underlying sleep disorder,*if* they occur with any frequency.

I don't experience them, but the sleep study following the very long questionnaire showed that I do have sleep apnea. It was a relief to have it treated and be able to sleep normally again.

Too bad I never had those interesting phenomena, though. That would have added some value to an otherwise annoying condition.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous MissJean said...

That's interesting, Dymphna. I'm glad it happened only the once, myself.

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home