The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

we win one

It was the dulcet dawn of the swinging 60's.
The Beetles were storming up the pop charts.
The winds of change were lapping around the leaf fringed hedgerows of the South Kildare village of Kilcullen.
A woman approached my Uncle Scutch in his pharmacy.
She had a furtive air.
She was a few weeks from giving birth.
"Can you give me something for the baby?" she asked in a whisper.
"What do you mean?" said the Uncle.
"Can you give me something to make the baby go away?" said the woman.
"What?" said the Uncle.
"Anything," said the woman, "just make the baby go away."
The Uncle nodded.
"Why don't you just wait till the baby is born and drown him?" he said.
The woman had her baby and called him after my uncle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home