The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, July 18, 2009

a rum one

Uncle Jim called to the house to bring the Mammy communion.
I sat in the front room with them.
As they prayed I imagined I could see the lamb of God elevated between them.
This was imagination.
The lamb had a banner which trailed down around the Mammy and Uncle Jim.
I imagined I could hear the phrase: "My banner over you is love."
The phrase comes from The Song Of Songs.
After the prayers were finished we talked for a few hours about God.
All this time the phrase "My banner over you is love," kept popping into my head.
I kept imagining I could see the lamb of God between them.
Eventually Uncle Jim left and the Mammy went to bed.
I opened the Bible at random.
Immediately my eye fell on the words:
"My banner over you is love."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mary said...

How beautiful was that?

:)

I sang that song at my first communion, has always stuck with me since.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Ummm - is Mammy not well? That would be awful! Let me know...

P.S. You would still be cute as a bug's ear wearing a foil hat. I'll wear one too.

When the last plane hit the ground I thought of you...

2:22 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Mary, it's a classic!
Adrienne, The Mammy is okay and sends her regards. By the way, tin foil hats are very comfortable. I predict everyone will be wearing them in a few years.
J

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home