The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, August 14, 2009

great moments in sport

The Mammy at breakfast musing aloud.
"I can't believe your cousin Rowena married that guy," quoth she.
"Ah he's alright," sez I.
"I never liked him," quoth she.
"What have you got against him?" sez I.
"I don't know, just a feeling of general loathing," quoth she.
"Ah Mam, that's a bit harsh," sez I.
The Mammy sighed as her mind sifted through the memories.
She spoke now as if from far away.
"I still remember the first time I saw him," she murmured. "He was staring into a pint of beer as if he was watching television. I thought it was a bad sign."
This comment by the aged parent amused me mightily.
It had that quality of pith I look for in a comment.
A gentle mellifluity enwrought with the pure sweet cadences of truth.
It's affect on me was so profound that for long long moments I had to desist from slipping MC Hamster cheese slices, I was laughing so hard.
"Ah Liller," sez I finally wiping my eyes. "Fine turn of phrase there. It's a classic. Staring into a pint as if he was watching television. James Joyce would be proud of that one. I gotta tell you, old mother old pal, sometimes your most casual remarks make life worth living."

1 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Well, she is your mother, James. You shouldn't be too surprised at her insight and ability to express herself.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home