The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, November 02, 2009

driving miss lily

Driving along the twisty road between Kilcullen and Newbridge.
The Mammy is sitting in the passenger seat with a look of suffering on her face.
I am singing.
I sing thusly:
"Amarti m'affatica
Mi svuota dentro
Qualcosa che assomiglia
A ridere nel pianto."
Esmerelda my car growls accompaniment as we sweep through the hamlet of Athgarvan.

I'm still singing.
There is a sound of screeching breaks as I realise at the last minute I'm about to go through a red traffic light.
We halt barely on the right side of legality and immortality.
The Mammy looks at me furiously.
"James," she cries with continental passion. "Will you stop singing about that f---ing Italian. I really got a fright there. My whole life flashed before my eyes. Come on. Say a decade of the rosary to calm me down. Name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home