The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, February 22, 2010

all in a name

Watching BBC television coverage from the British House of Lords.
Someone styling himself Lord Adonis is holding forth in plummy rambling discursive incomprehensibility.
His name seems oddly amusing to me.
"I bet that guy loves himself," I murmur wittily.
Flicking the channel I alight on Sky News.
A Welsh nationalist politician is being interviewed.
The Welsh parliamentarian's name is Elwyn Lewd.
Not since the heady days of Lord Adonis have I heard a name so ripe with mystic merriment.
"Well," I pronounce sagely, "I know very little about life but I know one thing for sure. A man called Elwyn Lewd can never become Prime Minister."
At my feet, Paddy Pup yawns sleepily.
He's heard all my jokes before and no longer finds them funny.
"If you wanna impress me," he says, "makes some wise cracks about the hamster or the budgies. Those guys are ripe for satire."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home