The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

in the valley of stillness

It was the dulcet Autumn of 1974.
The gypsies had arrived in Logstown.
Their painted caravans occupied a traditional spot used by travelling people for generations on the road out of town.
Our house was within view of it.
I had just read an Enid Blyton book.
In the book some children styling themselves the Famous Five had made friends with a gypsy styling herself Ragamuffin Jo.
I thought this was the way the world worked.
With all the optimism of an eight year old boy, I wandered down to the gypsy camp at twilight.
There was a campfire smouldering.
I entered the camp and stood by the fire.
Not a sign of life.
And the oddest feeling I was being watched.
Six alsations emerged from various places beneath the painted caravans.
There were definitely six.
I did have time to count them and to be sure.
They barked growled circled.
They were on long chains which tangled and tinkled as they vied for position.
I had just watched a television programme called Daktari where a boy was able to communicate with dogs by making dog sounds.
I thought this too was the way the world worked.
I tried barking back at the alsations.
Just a few conversational barks to begin with.
Then I went down on my hunkers and made whining sounds.
Then I walked swiftly from the camp.
The dogs watched me in some stupefaction.
I never went back.
Around about this time I began to suspect Enid Blyton was trying to kill me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home