The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, April 15, 2010

the most illegal thing i ever wrote

Some years ago the Town Manager of Athy, Mr William Carroll died suddenly.
I wrote about his death in a now defunct provincial newspaper called the Leinster Leader.
Unfortunately I wrote the article at about three o'clock in the morning, and I managed to put the wrong name in for the man who had died.
In my doddery delirium I put in the name of the very much alive County Manager Tommy Skehane.
Afterwards legendary musician Eric Clapton wrote a song about my incompetent shenanigans.
Ah folks.
I gotta tell ee.
No jury in the western world could convict the Leinster Leader or their Brit owners the Johnston Scuzz for firing me.
Truly I was a slob.
Now I am watching Eric Clap sing his tribute to me on Mr Youtube's excellent internet site.
The song goes:

"I shot the County Secretary,
But I did not shoot the Athy Town Clerk.
Oh no.
I shot the County Secretary,
And they say it was my incompetence at work.
All around the town,
Leinster Leader hack journalists and management are putting me down.
They want to bring me in guilty,
For the life of the Clerk of Athy.
But I say hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey,
Ner, ne, niddle, niddle, ne.
I shot the County Secretary,
But I did not shoot the Athy Town Clerk.
I shot the County Secretary.
It was an accident, my pen slipped, it was very dark.
The County Secretary was no good to me.
Always running the County.
Whenever I'd try to write a story about grandiose Council expenditures on white elephant schemes like that new sky scraper office in Naas which they didn't need, amassing massive debts from idiot banks against our unborn generations and only barely maintaining some vestigial sort of budgetary function at the expense of the small business sector who were continually being hit with ridiculous rate increases to cover the cost of the Council's blundering bureaucratic empire building adventurism,
He'd say kill it before it grow.
Oh kill it before it grow.
And I say hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey,
Ner, ne, niddle, niddle, ne.
I shot the County Secretary,
But I did not shoot the Athy Town Clerk.
I shot the County Secretary,
I maintain I was stressed out from overwork.
Oh no.
Freedom came my way one day,
When Brit parvenus called the Johnston Press bought the Leinster Leader for a dime.
(Actually 138 million quid. - Eric Clapton note.)
They wanted to fire me for gross incompetence,
And I said: Thank heavens, it's about focquing time.
Oh thank heavens, it's about focquing time.
And I said hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey,
Ner, ne, niddle, niddle, ne.
I shot the County Secretary.
But I did not shoot the Athy Town Clerk.
I shot the County Secretary.
I gotta tell you it's by no means my most incompetent piece of work.
Oh no."

Good old Eric.
He never lost it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home