The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

special guest blogger albert einstein

Being a lover of freedom when the Nazi revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; But, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers, whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; But they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. Only the Catholic church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for supressing the truth. I never had any special interest in the church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the church alone has had the courage and persistance to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly.
 
Albert Einstein, quoted in Time Magazine, edition of 23rd December 1940.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home