The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

how green was my budgie

Evening at the chateau.
I am ensconced in front of the television rooting for General McChrystle.
Greeny Budgie is sitting happily on the crook of my elbow emitting the occasional conversational chirrup.
Presently I notice a meditative look settling on the budgie's feathery features.
This can mean one thing.
"Ma," I hiss to my aged parent who occupies the adjoining armchair. "Quick. Watch this."
The Mammy turns.
The budgie, as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, emits a little pooh pellet onto my elbow.
Then, with great deliberateness, she moves a few steps to one side, reaches down with her beak, and tosses the pooh from off my elbow onto the carpet.
"Have you ever seen the like of that?" I challenge the Mammy. "Would you ever have guessed that a little bird could show such courtesy and refinement? Imagine the way her mind is working. She doesn't want to leave a pooh on my arm because she knows I don't like them there. Isn't there a remarkable dignity crafted into creatures?"
The Mammy does not deign to reply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home