The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, June 11, 2010

on the immortality of hamsters

Evening at the Chateau.
"Are you going to be going around with a long face for the next month because of the hamster?"
"No Mama. Probably just for a week or two."
"You shouldn't be too sad. She had a great life. That's all that matters."
"Grief is a gift from God Mama."
"Yes but it's not much fun to look at."
"I can only grieve because I have loved."
"You're nuts."
"Everything God makes is good. God puts a particular grace in the little creatures too. I hold that when he makes any spirit, it is eternal. He is such a perfect craftsman that he is unable to make anything that does not last forever. I have high hopes that Hammy and I shall meet again in heaven."
"Let me out of here."
When she had gone, the ghost of WH Auden appeared.
"Don't worry Heelers," he said softly, "what will last of us is love."

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

James - did your beautiful little hamster really pass away? If so - I am so sorry. She was a wonderful little friend and very, very beautiful. Most likely, the prettiest hamster I've ever seen!

I am sad...

5:55 AM  
Anonymous MissJean said...

I'm sorry to hear about Hammy, James. She had an extraordinary wit.

1:58 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Ade.
She did. I had one lovely experience standing in the garden yesterday thinking to myself: do hamsters go to heaven and if they do what would it be like for them? I looked up and there was a cloud scudding across the sky. It didn't take much imagination to see the cloud as a hamster. I know I'm a cornball! But don't be sad.
MJ, she also had excellent taste in jumpers. That is to say, she knew what she liked to chew holes in.
James

4:13 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

James - all our precious little "fur-people" will be waiting for us when we get to heaven. Really!

I've had that discussion with Father Bill and he sees no reason to believe otherwise...

5:23 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Ade, you're singing my song!
J

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home