The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, July 05, 2010

hannah the kid

The neighbour's child breezed in this morning.
Bright as a berry and cute as a button.
"I'm six today," she announced.
My venerable Mammy rose in acclaim.
"Oh we'll have to give you something to celebrate," she said reaching for her purse. "What would you like?"
"Fifty would be nice," said the kid.
The Mammy was momentarily nonplussed.
"Well how about twenty?" she managed finally.
"Twenty is fine," said the kid.
Presently she breezed out, waving a twenty Euro note.
I watched her go.
"Could she ever have meant 50p?" I murmured.
The Mammy eyed me with something approaching derision.
"You're living in the dark ages," she asserted. "The youngsters of today don't deal in pennies."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home