The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, September 17, 2010

communion

Coming out of Newbridge church.
It is a bright clear Autumn day in Ireland.
The air is fresh with the tang of life.
But my heart is not here.
I am thinking about Pope Benedict's visit to the United Kingdom.
I glance upwards.
There is a cloud spread across the sky.
The cloud is shaped like Great Britain.
The sun is half couched behind the cloud but illuminating it wholly.
It is as though all of Britain is shining.
The light from the top part of the sun which is not behind the cloud has taken form and is clearly discernible in thick golden beams which form a radiant halo crowning the island.
Words come to me.
The people that dwelt in shadow dark as death, has seen a great light.
I look at my watch.
It is 5.45pm.
The Pope is saying mass right this moment in Scotland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home