The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

relativititty

Coffee with Donald Baine.
He is complaining about his treatment at the hands of the worthy burghers of Kilcullen Drama Group.
Apparently they wouldn't let him have the theatre one night six months agp when he wanted to rehearse a play (one of mine) which he intended staging for charity.
Men have killed for less.
Particularly in Kilcullen Drama Group.
I am enjoying his plaints.
"Sure half of them are not even talking to me," I cry cheerfully during intermission.
"Why not?" wondereth he.
"Because I wouldn't play Victor Hugo in Les Miserables," I tell him.
"But what makes you think they're not talking to you?" insisteth he.
"Because Siobhan Scattergun hung up on me the other day," sez me.
"She didn't," sez he.
"She did," sez me.
"What did you say to her?" sez he.
"I rang her and shouted Bonjour down the phone," sez me.
"No wonder she hung up on you," quoth he.
"It's very offensive hanging up on someone," sez me.
"Ah it's nothing, and not talking to you is nothing," sez he.
"What do you mean?" quoth me.
"I mean that what they did to me was worse. It was low. Mean. It hurt. It still hurts," quoth he.
The noble Heelers pauses to polish his halo.
"Listen Baine," I intone. "Two years ago you got creamed by a lorry in the streets of New York. And you lay there on the ground unable to see or hear anything. And you prayed to God. You said: 'God, let me live. I'd like to see the kids grow up. I won't mind if I'm in a wheelchair. But let me live.' And your life was given back to you. And you're not in a wheelchair. How on earth could you ever be upset by anything that might happen in Kilcullen Drama Group? Forgive the hurt. Turn the other cheek. Think not about what came before. Reach forward into the future. Press on to the mark."
Baine digests this for a moment.
"I seem to remember," he murmurs, "you doing an awful lot of complaining about the Leinster Leader after they fired you. There wasn't much Christian forgiveness going on there. You kept it up for years."
"Touche Baine old pal. Touche."
And there our story ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home