The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

les miserables part deux

Mid afternoon.
Wandered into the Coulan Cafe in Kilcullen seeking pork chops.
In the corner sat a local Indonesian lady wearing a colourful head scarf and her little infant daughter, a most beautiful child.
There was no one else there.
"Set em up Barkeep," I called. "I want pork chops."
Patsy the proprietor materialised behind the counter like the Assistant in the old 1960's Brtish cartoon Mr Benn.
She is incidentally a good bit better looking than the Assistant in Mr Benn.
Patsy agreed to provide me with porkchops if I would guarantee to stop calling her Barkeep.
I gave her the usual false assurances and licked my chops anticipatingly.
"Hey Patsy," I called after a minute, "did you go to Les Miserables?"
Patsty reappeared.
"I did," she said.
"What did you think?"
"To be honest I didn't like it," she said. "I didn't like it at all. They were all so full of themselves. The men particularly. The men are just a bunch of racists. Posing there as if they own the world. The big men. Yeah, right. I wish they'd just wake up and get a life."
The mighty Heelers's jaw dropped.
It's been a while since I've heard anyone describe Mischa Fekete, John Coleman and my Uncle Scutch as a bunch of racists.
"Well Patsy," I mumured with some bemusement, "I admire your candour. To be honest I am not used to such frankness when talking about local drama productions. People are normally shy about speaking their minds."
"What are you talking about?" demanded Patsy.
"Les Miserables," I replied.
"I thought you asked me about Australia," exclaimed Patsy.
From the corner came the sound of a glass breaking.
The Indonesian woman had dropped her drink and was laughing delightedly.
All the music of the world was in her laughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home