The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, May 24, 2013

the devils

Afternooon in the town of Newbridge.
I am mingling with a cheerfully insane Pro Life demonstration outside the offices of abortionist parliamentarian Martin Headon.
A placard approaches me.
It reads: The Foetus Is Not Frogspawn.
It looks like a home made one.
Green marker and a rather creative representation of a frog.
Or maybe it's a baby.
Behind the placard I espy Mary Barber.
She who occasionally gets turned away from Pro Life demos for having home made placards that are considered a little too direct for some of the gentler souls of the the Pro Life movement.
I engage the good Barber in conversation.
"Have you read my blog lately?" quoth me.
"I don't like it at the moment," quoth she.
"Why so?" quoth me.
She takes a pause.
"I don't like what you're writing about Muslims. You're generalising. You're tarring them all with the same brush. I can't support that."
My handsome preraphaelite features take on a gothic hue.
"That won't save you," I tell her.
"What do you mean?"
"Nothing. I just like the sound of it. It's a line from that horror TV series starring the guy from The Professionals. He was playing a Padre. And one of the women said to him she didn't believe in the devil. And he replied: That won't save you. I've always wanted to use the line."
"Well I don't agree with what you're saying about Muslims. I know Muslims. My friend Tania is Muslim. So I can't go alone with what you're saying."
"Okay, okay. If someone else said it to me, I probably wouldn't care but since you're saying it I'll have to go away and weigh your words carefully."
All this week I've been weighing what she said.
While the Muslims burnt Stockholm, tried to kill another FBI agent in Boston, and hacked a British man to death in the streets of London.
How long can we pretend this isn't happening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home