The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, February 29, 2016

modest discourses about unimportant things

Caitriona said: "James I'm not saying you don't have a right to an opinion. I'm just saying you will never have to make a decision about whether to end a pregnancy or not. No man will ever have to face that decision."
I replied: "You really are saying I don't have a right to an opinion. But if your life was in danger and a rescuer showed up, you wouldn't waste any time wondering about what gender your rescuer was."
Caitriona said: "All I'm saying is you will never know what it is like to face the choice of ending a pregnancy. No man will."
I said: "You caused your mother just as much pain in childbirth as I caused mine. You can't pull gender rank to justify killing unborn children."
Caitriona said: "I'm not pulling rank. And I'm not justifying abortion. I'm not even saying you've no right to an opinion. I'm just saying you will never know what it's like to face that situation."
I said: "All I've done is to tell you murder is wrong. Why would you say that simply because I'm a man I'm not fit to reject types of murder that I myself will never be in a position to commit? I'll never live in Germany in 1939. I'll never face the choice of sending Jewish people to die in Concentration Camps. That time is past. I can't be there. But I still know it's wrong. And I still know I have a duty to say it's wrong. And I still know I have a duty to try to prevent it happening again. And so do you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home